Monday, February 20, 2012

Washed Ashore

If you've been following me for a while (or if you know anything about me at all!), you know that I live on an island. Long Island, to be clear. And the beach and the sea are my favorite of all locations. It's where Andrew and I go most, and sometimes he brings me home little surprises if I can't be with him on beach days. Pizza rock, for instance -

Photobucket

Andrew found pizza rock when I was having a really bad day during the summer of 2010. He brought it over to me at my old basement apartment. It really brightened my entire day (and believe me, that was a really bad day), and now whenever I look at it I'm reminded of how sweet and thoughtful he is.

Also I'm reminded about pizza, which is another perfect thing.

That story was really just a segue into this DIY post. Next to pizza rock, you'll see some beach glass that Andrew brought home for me recently. We both thought it would make a really great necklace, but knew drilling a hole into it was bound to shatter it completely. My mind immediately went to wire, and although I know nothing about jewelry making (before this, it was just beaded or braided bracelets), I am SO proud of the outcome and decided to share!

Here are my supplies:
Photobucket
Tiny pliers, tiny jump rings,
Some wire I found in the jewelry making aisle of Michael's
A chain, magnetic clasps, and of course the beach glass.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't really have a plan for wrapping the wire around the glass. I just went with it, and I'm really pleased with the design that happened by accident.

Another accident was the spiral-y wire that I threaded onto the chain. Andrew was just hanging out at the table as I was creating this, and made those "beads" by wrapping my scrap wire around the tiny pliers. I thought they looked cool and just threw em on there. Because why not?

And here is my necklace in action! -
Photobucket
I think it came out great and can't wait to wear it all the time.
And I've felt so good all night because I made my new pretty thing.

xo, Corinne

14 comments:

  1. i love it!! what a great necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing! I love it! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love love love the pizza rock! <3 What a truly adorable idea!

    x
    Lost in the Haze: Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pizza rock almost made me cry of cuteness. And that necklace is AWESOME. I tried to make a ring once with wire and a stone. I just could NOT do it. Noice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! And speaking of pizza, I have leftovers in the fridge right now..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is amazing!

    http://fashionroll.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO pretty! I have to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww! Haha I love the pizza rock, thats too cute! I love the wire wrapped look! So pretty :)
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corinne! You have been tagged in eleven things. Read the instructions on my blog. Its super easy + really fun! :)

    http://www.shortgirllongisland.com/2012/02/everything-eleven.html

    PS - Can we do a thrifting/nail art night soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Once the Oscars are over, I'll get right on it <3.

      And we should, and we can.

      Delete
  10. Wow, it looks so stylish and gorgeous! Great work :) xo akiko
    Style Imported

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool! I love natural jewelry like that.

    ReplyDelete

You're probably about to make me smile.